LondonArtGirl

LondonArtGirl has moved to her own domain. Check her out at her new website at www.londonartgirl.com for more comprehensive posts, opinions, and reviews. See you there!

16 October 2006

Joern Vanhoefen at Galerie Ramerapotheke


With so many fairs this fall season comes so much artwork. After a while, you run the risk that everything will start to blend into each other. Same art just a different fair. At that point, the art really has to be special to stand out – for better or worse. Last week at Scope, I was cruising up and down the aisles in record speed because nothing gave me reason to stop. On my way out, I finally came across Galerie Ramerapotheke’s booth and saw a mesmerizing photograph by Joern Vanhoefen. Try saying that five times fast.

‘Spain 2003’ is a large-scale photograph showing a beached shipwreck at sunset. The rust laden vessel is completely out of place in this setting. With its close proximity to the shoreline and the absence of a tail end, the ghost-ship raises more questions than it gives answers. What catastrophic event led to the wreck? How is it still standing upright? How long has it been there? The ominous image is laced with anxiety and is just a little bit creepy. There is an apocalyptic feel to the scene that is heightened by the gentle sunset captured in the background. I am not certain of the artist’s intention, but I do know that I can’t take my eyes off of it. Check out Joern Vanhoefen at www.roemerapotheke.ch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Google